Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Bloodbond: Werewolves & Other Shapeshifters


Alban Lake Publishing accepted a short story from me, to be published in November of this year, for Bloodbond, a biannual magazine of werewolves, vampires and shapeshifters. I don't usually mention acceptances until the work is published, but I thought I'd mention Alban Lake because they not only are accepting work for Bloodbond, but for a number of other projects. In addition, they just had their awesome Scifaikuest 2014. I adore haiku, and the day I discovered it paired with SF was an amazing one.

For a while I was interested in werewolves. I wrote two stories. One is yet waiting. It's 8,000 words, but feels like the prologue to a longer story. It's about a scientist in a werewolf research facility, a sort of zoo/laboratory, where they are breeding the 'wolves. They've never had good luck with them--the pups die within months. But one pup is struggling to live, and the scientist is finding that he'd do just about anything to help him.

It has the feel of a prologue because I think the story is not the scientist's, but the pup's. How will he grow up? What will he think of the humans who imprisoned his pack, or the human who helped him? What will he do?




Have bloodthirsty thoughts today, dear ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment