Saturday, May 7, 2011

Pics of Free Comic Book Day! And then self-pimpage

Today is Free Comic Book Day. If you've got a shop near you and it's still open, go! Go, my friend, like the wind in Superman's underpants! For they have free comic books for you! Yes, it's a national thing. Trust me.

Our particular shop, voted Best in Detroit multiple times, is Green Brain in Dearborn. I usually go once a month on a Wednesday, when the new The Walking Dead comes out. And if you are a TWD comic fan and would like to discuss it, contact me. Ahem. Today at the Green Brain, they had a thumpin' dj first. I likey the techno, I must admit. They also had raffles every hour, which I did not win (guess I'll just have to buy that GB t-shirt now), four comic book artists who I do not know but who apparently are big news, and free sketches for kids. The free comics were stacked in two long rows, and you could pick any three. Three! Plus, if you brought in canned food for the Gleaners, you got three more, and if you brought in old cell phones for the military, you got three more. Did not know. Because I wanted more than three, I should tell you. Tried to talk B into getting three that I wanted, but he picked three of his own liking.

The scene initially:


It got quite a bit more crowded after this. Such a diverse crowd, too. Loved seeing the little ones there, picking out their comics! For free comics, they had a selection from young children's comics to more mature ones.

Me with my bag of free comics:


I got: Mouse Guard, Joe Hill's Locke and Key (which I've heard a lot about, and you all know I'm a huge JH fan, so I've got high hopes with this one), and The Darkness Confession (which, if you see the cover, you will know immediately why I had to have it). Oh, okay, here's the cover:


Yeah. Ehm. Uh-huh. I hope he takes his clothes off. Anyway!

B got, in case you were wondering, Lady Death (which looks awesome), Spontaneous and Civil War Adventure.

Last pic: After the dj, they had the Found Object Orchestra playing live. This guy had his trombone (TROMBONE!) hooked up to this homemade thingamajig that made his trombone sound like... other things. This is a terrible description. Suffice to say, it was a lot of fun.


They had a euphonium, too. Who the hell plays the euphonium? Like I said, lots of fun.

Self-pimpage time! In addition to my winning entry over at Lily's place, Girls Club, I wrote an additional piece titled Fingerprint. Both 100 words.

And I've found time, finally, to get back into the novel I've barely touched for the past month since starting my new job. As expected, things are *finally* settling down, and I can get back to work doing what I love best. I'm also working on a short story about the Plague, or rather, a Plague. It's strange and scary -- to me -- so I think I must be doing something right. I wish I had time for more challenges and to write for more anthologies, but we'll see. Right now, I've got a lot on my plate.

Thanks for stopping by! And if you went to your local comic book store for FCBD, what did you get????

2 comments:

  1. No comic books for me. They´re forbidden here, obviously.

    YAY on winning The Prediction! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and Fingerprint is crazy awesome!

    ReplyDelete