Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Goldfish

Goldfish



The sea's not wide but it is full.
I have my castle and my load of gold.
See how the chest flips up to show
its plastic pennies and its bouldered hearts
with each great current, while in droves
we follow close the circular turret --

The sea's not wide but it is full.



-- from "The Striped World" by Emma Jones



52 Poems by Faber

*

I should post a pic of Bob with that poem, but I'm far too lazy. Please picture a happy, chubby-cheeked Parrot swimming on his back just above the gravel, thinking bubbly thoughts. Or flaky thoughts, as he's perpetually hungry.

*

I am in perpetual hunger. At the bottom of the castle gates, I am hungry. Peeking through an archer's notch, I am hungry. I am hunger, I am in hunger, I am in need, where is the dragon that I must slay so that his reptilian blood colors the moat and the fish swim happy, happy, no longer hungry for today? Here is my silver bow, borrowed and thin, here is my lance, here is the letter you wrote yesterday in dragon blood, here are the words that fall in my courtyard like dogwood blossoms. Here is hunger. Perhaps now I know why you left.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Bob is doing well! We have four goldfish in our pond, and they LOVE to frolic under the fountainhead, particularly at night. I never knew that goldfish were nocturnal... or playful, for that matter. Because of their bouncing off the walls, they stir up a lot of muck, which constantly clogs the filter. Sometimes Paul has to go out at four in the morning to clean it. He's a good fish-daddy....

    ReplyDelete