Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lily's Friday Prediction: Death Wants A Moment's Peace

This week, I'm honored to be winner of Lily's Friday Prediction. I always think, given the talent that shows up there, that I ain't got a snowball's chance in hell. Here's my hundred words:

Death Wants a Moment's Peace

Death tunneled its way into the sand, sighing deep for rest from judgment.

Moira on her horse traveled the loneliest beach on earth, reins loose in her hand. She whistled once.

“Go away,” Death said, and clapped a bony hand over its foolish mouth.

“Can’t,” she replied. “The Gates are all backed up. The Devil and the saints are playing cards, waitin’ on you.”

“Not my problem.”

The horse pawed at the sand until Death was forced to arise, grains trickling through its robe and skeleton.

“Fine. But your turn is coming, missy.”

“I know,” she said, and she did.

*

This little flash inspired a whole series. Parts two and three are here.

If you're not following Lily's Friday Prediction, stop on by. These are some of the best writers around, and you're guaranteed to find something to tickle your fancy. Or freak you the fuck out. And if you can, write something. Join the fun. I love seeing what those three words breed in people's heads.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, Rebecca! I really liked this little piece. Inquiring minds.....here's a link to a photo from a friends wedding last year. (It was taken by my daughter)

    http://davidbarberfiction.blogspot.com/2010/09/photo-finish-friday.html

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOT! Congratulations! Late as I tend to be, I didn´t see you won until now. Your piece is great -- totally loved it! Especially this ”… grains trickling through its robe and skeleton.” I have been reading it aloud, I do that to the things I love, I make them go audio =)

    ReplyDelete