Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Gargoyles and s/D


yt sumner's back with her You-and-Me postcard series. Behold, #52! Gargoyle. Yes.

The premise is simple: You send her a postcard, and she writes a story in 300 words or less. The results so far have been amazing, thought-provoking and gorgeous. I sent one in last year. You should too.

*

But you wanted to read something non-fiction, but also breathtakingly honest and beautiful. A memoir to stop you in your tracks. In that case, you must read Elissa Wald's essay, Night Shifts . Does everyone have a night self? I'm not sure. But I do know this: Wald's strength as she navigates an unfolding landscape of belts, phone sex, and the change from secret fantasies to nights spent comforting a frightened child is remarkable. This one stays with you.

*

I continue to write, secure in the fact that it is all shit. Some people read many books at a time; I can only devote myself to one. But I'm a whore in my writing, going to bed with whatever red-sequinned words catch my attention at the moment. Hopefully, in the end, dawn will break on one of them and it will not be ugly.


via HRMTC via hexenhaus

1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth... I haven't read anything of yours that I thought was shit. Or anywhere near that. I always enjoy your writing. =)

    I always dreamed I would write a book one day, hell, I still do. I will. I will. And yet whenever a word count strays into higher numbers my attention wavers, my passion wanes and my imagination wanders to other worlds...

    I love writing short fiction, which is good, as I seem fairly incapable of much else... ;)

    ReplyDelete