Friday, April 29, 2011

An afternoon with a Beekman Boy

What better way to celebrate a day off -- a Friday, no less! -- than to meet Josh Kilmer-Purcell?
Beer. Well, yes. And so there was beer, too. Not with Josh, alas, though we extended the invite. :)
At Shuler's Books in Lansing, MI, we went to hear Josh read from the hysterical, touching book, The Bucolic Plague, an account of how he and his boyfriend, Brent, left the big city to become gentlemen farmers in upstate New York. Josh started on time (a big deal to me!), was adorable in person, and read the section about meeting Martha Stewart. Then we got to ask questions, and finally, we lined up to get our books signed.


Brian poses



Becky poses. :)



Josh signs. I don't know why this one came out so funky.

Aaand... the model walk! Very nicely done, Mr. Kilmer-Purcell and Audience Lady!

We had a fabulous time, and will definitely go out to see him again. He even remembered that I'm the shy girl who couldn't talk on the phone to him last year when Brian asked him to call me and wish me a happy birthday and he agreed! How incredibly nice is that! And I freaked out. Sheesh.

Yes. If you ever think to yourself, "She can't be as shy as she says she is, " YES I AM. I could barely talk to him today, and when he asked if I was still shy and I said yes, he hugged me anyway! What a wonderful person.

Also, he made me cry when he talked about Brent.

Okay, so we're back to work this weekend, both of us. Lastly, if anyone's got some time to read a short story for me, I'd be much obliged. First person to email me at: gshep72 AT sbcglobal DOT net

Thanks, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. rtf. Yes? ASAP!

    Lovely pics, lovely day! If (when!) we meet and you´re silent it´ll be like entering the twilight zone! But don´t worry, we´ll bring laptops and then we can sit next to each other and write =)

    rtf. c´mon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I warm up. It takes a bit. Stumbling talk, nervous tics, but I eventually warm up.

    Wine helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am much the same way, Becky. There are a few odd instances when I simply warm up to someone instantly - those people are precious few. But most of the time there is a Red Alert going off in my head. There are gluts of people who think me 'slow to warm'- if at all - while close people know me as a quirky, sarcastic loudmouth.

    P.S. So refreshing to hear someone has the same social tics/awkwardness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Nods* People who know me from online seem to find it impossible that I could be shy, but I am... but only sometimes. And it has nothing whatever to do with drinking or teetotaling, or whether I'm among strangers or friends. Sometimes I can be the life of the party. Other times, I'm the party pooper. And I can never really tell ahead of time which it will be. That's why I hate talking on the phone; awkward silences are REALLY awkward over the phone!

    ReplyDelete